State Council to oversee probe as restaurant collapse deaths hit 29

By Chen Meiling | Xinhua/chinadaily.com.cn
Updated: 01:35 PM (GMT+8) Aug 30, 2020

- 57 people has been pulled out of the debris, including the 29 dead, seven severely injured and 21 slightly injured

- Rescue operation ends at 3:45 am on Sunday

- Work Safety Committee of China's State Council will supervise the investigation

- Shanxi province has set up a team to investigate

Photo taken on Aug 29, 2020 shows the rescue site of the collapsed restaurant in Xiangfen county of Linfen city, North China's Shanxi province. [Photo/Xinhua]

The Work Safety Committee of China's State Council will supervise the investigation into Saturday's restaurant collapse in Northern Shanxi province which caused 29 deaths, the committee said in a statement.

The accident happened at around 9:40 am when relatives and fellow villagers were attending the birthday party banquet of an 80-year-old person at a restaurant in Chenzhuang village in Xiangfen county, in the city of Linfen, North China's Shanxi province, witnesses said.

The committee demanded the provincial government of Shanxi to immediately investigate the incident, and the result should be released to the public upon approval by the committee.

Photo taken on Aug 29, 2020 shows the rescue site of the collapsed restaurant in Xiangfen county of Linfen city, North China's Shanxi province. [Photo/Xinhua]

The province set up a special team on Sunday to investigate and bring those responsible to justice.

The rescue operation ended at 3:45 am on Sunday. At that point, 57 people had been pulled out of the debris of the collapsed two-story building, including the 29 dead, seven severely injured and 21 slightly injured, rescue headquarters said.

Photo taken on Aug 29, 2020 shows the rescue site of the collapsed restaurant in Xiangfen county of Linfen city, North China's Shanxi province. [Photo/Xinhua]

The rescue team, made of 840 members, managed to find the trapped people with the help of over 20 large machineries, and sniffer dogs and life detectors.

More than 100 medical workers with 15 ambulances also joined the mission.

Photo taken on Aug 29, 2020 shows the rescue site of the collapsed restaurant in Xiangfen county of Linfen city, North China's Shanxi province. [Photo/Xinhua]
Photo taken on Aug 29, 2020 shows the rescue site of the collapsed restaurant in Xiangfen county of Linfen city, North China's Shanxi province. [Photo/Xinhua]
Photo taken on Aug 29, 2020 shows the rescue site of the collapsed restaurant in Xiangfen county of Linfen city, North China's Shanxi province. [Photo/Xinhua]

If you have any problems with this article, please contact us at app@chinadaily.com.cn and we'll immediately get back to you.